Geschichte-Podcasts

McCormick, Cyrus - Geschichte

McCormick, Cyrus - Geschichte


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Geschäftsmann-Erfinder
(1809-1884)

Cyrus Hall McCormick wurde am 15. Februar 1809 in Rockbridge County, Virginia geboren. Obwohl er nur eine geringe formale Ausbildung hatte, wurde er stark von seinem Vater beeinflusst, der vergeblich versuchte, einen mechanischen Schnitter zu perfektionieren. 1831 gelang dem Sohn der Bau eines solchen Gerätes.

Allerdings erhielt er erst 1834 ein Patent, als er von konkurrierenden Erfindern bedroht wurde. Verständlicherweise hielt McCormick seinen Schnitter noch einige Jahre vom Markt, um den Mechanismus zu verbessern; und selbst bei der Markteinführung konzentrierte er die Produktion auf nur ein Werk in Chicago.

Als das Patent 1848 endgültig auslief, sah er sich erneut vielen Konkurrenten gegenüber. Trotzdem gelang es ihm, seine Marktposition zu verbessern und dann zu halten.

Er reiste um die Welt, bewarb und demonstrierte sein Produkt energisch. Als besonders verkaufsfördernd erwies sich eine Vorführung auf der Crystal Palace-Ausstellung in London (1851).

Neben seinen vielen geschäftlichen Interessen im ganzen Land war er vor allem in der Demokratischen Partei in Illinois aktiv. Er interessierte sich auch für den Rest seines Lebens sehr für die presbyterianische Kirche und leistete viele Beiträge dazu. McCormick starb am 13. Mai 1884 in Chicago.


Eine SEHR kurze Geschichte des McCormick Tract Wilderness Area

Alles begann 1778, als Robert McCormick aus Irland auswanderte und sich in Rockbridge Co. Virginia niederließ. Sein Sohn Cyrus Hall McCormick studierte im Alter von 22 Jahren die Aufzeichnungen seines Vaters über gescheiterte Schnitter und im Jahr 1831 demonstrierte er seinen Schnitter erfolgreich einer kleinen Gruppe von Bauern und erhielt 1834 sein erstes Patent auf den Schnitter. Er arbeitete weiter an dem Design, bis Cyrus 1847 nach Chicago zog und eine Reaper-Fabrik eröffnete, die zu The McCormick Company wurde.

Diese Hauptfabrik war sehr erfolgreich, aber am 8. Oktober 1871 brannte sie zusammen mit dem Rest von Chicago. Cyrus übernahm die Führung beim Wiederaufbau der Stadt und eröffnete ein Jahr später das Kongresszentrum McCormick Place, um der Welt zu zeigen, dass Chicago sich von dem Brand erholt hatte. Er entwickelte die McCormick Co. bis zu seinem Tod im Jahr 1884 weiter.

Cyrus Rice McCormick, der Gründer des McCormick Tract, wurde am 16. Mai 1859 geboren. Als Teenager änderte Cyrus seinen zweiten Vornamen nach seinem Vater in Hall. Im Alter von 25 Jahren, während er in Princeton war, übernahm er unmittelbar nach dem Tod seines Vaters die Leitung des Unternehmens seines Vaters.

In den letzten 25 Jahren des 19. Jahrhunderts entwickelten viele Unternehmen Erntemaschinen und Mähdrescher mit vielen Klagen. 1902 schlossen sich schließlich auf Anregung von JP Morgan die fünf größten, John Deere Co., Deering Co., Milwaukee Harvester Co., Champion und McCormick Co. unter dem Namen International Harvester Co. zusammen Diese Fusion wurde von einem brillanten jungen Anwalt durchgeführt, der die McCormick Co. vertrat, Cyrus Bentley. Cyrus H. McCormick wurde im Alter von 36 Jahren Präsident, während Charles Deering das Amt des Vorstandsvorsitzenden übernahm. 1918 wurde Cyrus Vorstandsvorsitzender, zusammen mit seinem Bruder Harold als Präsident.

Robert McCormick hatte die Idee des Schnitters,

Cyrus H. McCormick entwickelte die Idee zu einer marktfähigen Erfindung und begann mit der Produktion, und

Sein Sohn Cyrus Hall McCormick, Gründer des McCormick Tract, wurde Industrieller.

Entdeckung und Bildung des McCormick Tract

Die Geschichte des McCormick Tract begann im Jahr 1884. In diesem Jahr starb der älteste Cyrus und sein Sohn Cyrus wurde Präsident von McCormick Co. und unternahm seinen ersten Campingausflug. Während seiner Zeit in Princeton lernte McCormick einen Professor namens Dr. William Gray kennen, der ein begeisterter Naturliebhaber war. Er hatte ein Dauercamp auf einer Insel in Bayfield Wi. und hatte im Laufe der Jahre viele Leute zu seinen Gästen eingeladen, darunter die McCormicks, die mit ihm gute Freunde wurden.

Dr. Gray ging oft überall in den USA campen. Er wählte das Gebiet aus, indem er auf einer Karte nach einem Ort mit zwei oder drei Oberläufen nahe beieinander suchte, mit Bächen, die in entgegengesetzte Richtungen flossen, und vielen kleinen Seen. Diese Gebiete boten normalerweise ausgezeichnete Campingplätze mit reichlich Wild.

Eines Tages, im Jahr 1884, lud Dr. Gary Cyrus ein, ihn auf einem seiner Campingausflüge zu begleiten. Bevor er ging, traf er sich mit Cyrus' Mutter und ließ einige von Cyrus' persönlichen Sachen vorausschicken, damit Cyrus sich wie zu Hause fühlte. Cyrus, Dr. Gray und ein anderer Gefährte reisten mit dem Zug nach Norden nach Champion, dann mit einem indischen Führer nach Norden auf einem alten indischen Pfad entlang des Peshekee-Flusses. Als sie den Campingplatz am Rande eines namenlosen Sees erreichten, war Cyrus überrascht, ein großes weißes Zelt, Betten mit Laken und eine Auswahl seiner persönlichen Gegenstände zu sehen.

In den folgenden Jahren begannen Cyrus und sein Anwalt Cyrus Bentley, dieses Gebiet zu besuchen. Sie würden kommen und auf einer kleinen felsigen Insel in diesem See ein provisorisches Basislager errichten. Auf einer solchen Reise saßen sie auf der Insel und schauten auf einen hohen Felsvorsprung und beschlossen, dass sie die Festung heißen sollte. Später benannten sie den See nach dieser Klippe und nannten ihn Fortress Lake.

In den späten 1800er Jahren beschlossen Peter White, J.M. Longyear und andere Führungskräfte der Marquette-Gemeinde, einen exklusiven Club in den Huron Mountains zu gründen. Sie nannten es den Huron Mountains Shooting and Fishing Club und förderten die Mitgliedschaft in Detroit und Chicago. Cyrus Bentley wurde angesprochen und beschloss 1902, sich anzuschließen. Während der vielen Ausflüge zum Fortress Lake dachte Bentley, der ein begeisterter Wanderer war, es wäre großartig, einen Weg von der Fortress Lake Island zum Huron Mountain Club zu bauen. McCormick stimmte zu und beschloss, den Kauf des Grundstücks weiterzuverfolgen. Er schickte einen Scout, Edwin McLean, der das Gebiet untersuchte und dachte, es könnte für etwa 5 USD pro Acre gekauft werden. Da er wusste, dass der Grundstückspreis erhöht würde, wenn der Verkäufer von dem Vermögen von Mr. McCormick wüsste, bat er seine Sekretärin, F. A. Stewert, einen Grundstücksmakler in Marquette, W.E., zu kontaktieren. Lewis, um als sein Immobilienmakler zu fungieren. Als er sich an die Landbesitzer wandte, wurde Herrn Lewis ein Festpreis von 10 USD/Acre genannt. Es stellte sich heraus, dass der Grundstücksmakler des Eigentümers, John M. Longyear, gehört hatte, dass Mr. McCormick am Kauf des Landes interessiert war und nicht daran interessiert war, mit Mr. Lewis zu verhandeln. Deshalb hatte er den Grundstückspreis erhöht. McCormick war gezwungen, Mr. Longyear mitzuteilen, dass Mr. Lewis sein Agent war, und im September 1904 kaufte McCormick 151,75 Acres für 3,16 $/acre. Dies bedeckte das westliche Ende des Fortress Lake und umfasste die Insel.

In den nächsten 16 Jahren gründeten 13 separate Käufe das Gebiet auf 2933 Acres. Das erste Gebäude war 1904 die Bibliothekshütte auf der Insel. Die meisten anderen Inselgebäude stammen aus dem Jahr 1906 oder 1907. Um diese Zeit erfolgte eine Erweiterung zum Seeufer und war in den 1930er Jahren gut ausgebaut.

Mr. Bentleys Hütte in den Huron Mountains wurde 1905 fertiggestellt. Im selben Jahr wurde der Weg vom rauen Lager auf Fortress Island zur Bentley Cabin am Lake Superior fertiggestellt.

Fortress Lake wurde zu einem sehr geschäftigen Ort, an dem Hütten gebaut wurden, Crews an der Entwicklung von Trails arbeiteten, einschließlich Promenaden entlang der Ränder der Fortress und des benachbarten Bulldog Lake. Einer der am wenigsten beliebten Jobs war das Ausbaggern des Kanals zwischen den Seen Fortress und Bulldog, damit Boote leicht zwischen den beiden passieren konnten. Als das Land von McCormick gekauft wurde, gab es am östlichen Ende des Fortress Lake einen großen Biberdamm, gefolgt von Sumpfbächen und anderen kleinen Biberdämmen, die zum Bulldog Lake führten. McCormicks Crew baute hier zwischen 1908 und 1916 den 1900-Fuß-Kanal. Sie gruben ihn aus, trieben Stangen ein und befestigten Drähte an diesen Stangen. Boote könnten von Hand durch diesen Kanal gezogen werden. Die Masten und Drahtbefestigungen verbleiben heute im Kanal.

Eine weitere der vielen Aufgaben war die Entwicklung des Wegesystems rund um die Seen und des Bentley Trails vom Fortress Lake zu Mr. Bentleys Hütte am Lake Superior.

Im November 1907 beschloss Cyrus McCormick, den See nach einem Albinohirsch, den er und andere Gäste häufig gesehen hatten, offiziell White Deer Lake zu nennen.

Im Oktober 1935 besuchte Cyrus die Stätte zum letzten Mal. Er starb am 2. Juni 1936 im Alter von 77 Jahren. Das Eigentum an der Siedlung ging an einen Sohn, Gordon McCormick, der mit einem Renovierungsprojekt aller Gebäude begann. Dies setzte sich bis in die 40er Jahre fort. 1947 war Gordons letzter Besuch in der Siedlung. Er starb 1967 und vermachte die Einigung dem USDA.

Diese Informationen stammen ausschließlich aus den beiden folgenden Referenzen:

Superior Heartland A Backwoods-Geschichte vol. I Buch II von C. Fred Rydholm, privat veröffentlicht von C. Fred Rydholm, 221 Lakewood Lane, Marquette MI 49855, 1989.

Eine Geschichte der Nutzung des White Deer Lake Camp durch die McCormick-Familie, McCormick Experimental Forest, Baraga, Marquette Counties, Michigan. Eingereicht an: USDA Forest Service, Ottawa National Forest, Ironwood, Michigan, 49938. Eingereicht von: Mid-American Research Center, Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois, 60611. Leitender Ermittler, Theodore J. Karamanski .

"Meinen Dank an Tom Foye, der mir Platz auf seiner schönen Website gewährt hat. Er hat das McCormick Tract-Gebiet sehr gut dargestellt. Wenn Sie mehr über die Geschichte dieses einzigartigen Ortes erfahren möchten, habe ich ein Buch über Entstehung, Leben und Untergang von 1906 bis zu seiner Beschaffung durch den US Forest Service im Jahr 1968 geschrieben. Mein Vater, Ted Tonkin, war der Superintendent von das White Deer Lake Camp für 38 Jahre und als Familie haben wir die Sommer dort verbracht."

Ein Auszug aus Mrs. Cooleys Buch, das das Leben im White Deer Lake Camp beschreibt.

„Seit Beginn des eisigen Wetters im Spätherbst, nachdem das Niveau des Sees wegen des erwarteten Frühjahrsabflusses abgesenkt worden war, wurde eine Stelle etwa 200 Fuß vom Ufer entfernt, direkt neben dem Bootshaus, schneefrei gehalten. Dieser Bereich maß ungefähr 100 Quadratfuß. Mitte Januar war es Zeit zum Eisschneiden. Als sich das Eis auf eine Dicke von 20 Zoll angesammelt hatte, wurden riesige Blöcke mit den Maßen 20 Zoll x 18 Zoll x 20 Zoll und einem Gewicht von ungefähr 200 Pfund geschnitten. Die Männer benutzten eine handgehaltene Eissäge, um die Brocken zu schneiden und eine Eiszange, um sie aus dem Wasser zu ziehen. Diese wurden auf einen kleinen Schlitten geladen und zum Eishaus gezogen, das sich etwa 500 Fuß vom Ufer entfernt am südlichen Ende des Kitchen-Gebäudes befand. Wenn es die Bedingungen erlaubten, wurde der Traktor eingesetzt, um den Schlitten einen kurzen, aber steilen Hügel hinaufzuziehen. Ansonsten mussten die Männer es mit einer Handwinde machen. Ein Block and Tackle hob die Brocken in das Eishaus. Sobald sie an Ort und Stelle waren, wurden diese Blöcke zwischen Sägemehlhaufen gestapelt. In einem guten Winter würden bis zu 300 Blöcke (oder etwa 26-30 Tonnen Eis) für die Verwendung in den Eisboxen im folgenden Jahr gelagert."

Nachdruck hier mit Genehmigung von Kathleen Cooley. Danke, dass du dein ausgezeichnetes Buch geschrieben hast, Kathleen!


Cyrus McCormick (1809-1884)

Landwirtschaftliche Effizienz . In den ersten Jahrzehnten des 19. Jahrhunderts hing die Anbaufläche einer Familie oft davon ab, wie viele Menschen sie auf die Felder bringen konnte. Infolgedessen waren die meisten Bauern, die für den Markt produzierten, vor allem in der Erntezeit mit einem anhaltenden Arbeitskräftemangel konfrontiert, aber dies sollte sich bald ändern. Neue Maschinen verkürzten die Erntezeit für Getreide zwischen 1800 und 1840 ungefähr um die Hälfte und bis 1880 noch einmal um die Hälfte. Die landwirtschaftliche Produktion und Effizienz wuchsen schnell, eine entscheidende Entwicklung für die Wirtschaft des Westens.

John Deere Pflüge . Eisen- und Stahlpflüge ersetzten bald die aus Holz. 1837 konstruierte John Deere seinen ersten Eisenpflug mit einer Stahlkante. Bis Mitte der 1840er Jahre fertigte er jährlich tausend Pflüge und im folgenden Jahrzehnt zehntausend Pflüge. Diese neuen Pflüge ermöglichten es den Siedlern, Meile für Meile in die ansonsten robuste Prärie des Mittleren Westens zu schneiden, aber selbst Deeres Pflüge konnten das Problem, zur Erntezeit genügend Arbeitskräfte zu finden, nicht überwinden. Bauern, die kleine Körner wie Weizen anbauten, brauchten immer noch Arbeiter, um mit Sicheln, Sensen oder größeren Handgeräten, den sogenannten Wiegen, zu ernten.

McCormick Schnitter . Cyrus Hall McCormick wurde 1809 in Virginia geboren, sein Vater Robert war selbst so etwas wie ein Tüftler. Um 1800 tauchten in England frühe mechanische Schnitter auf, und Erfinder in Europa und den Vereinigten Staaten erforschten weiterhin neue Möglichkeiten. Robert McCormick experimentierte mit einem Schnitter und gab ihn 1831 seinem Sohn Cyrus. Nachdem er Verbesserungen vorgenommen hatte, patentierte der jüngere McCormick 1834 seinen neuen Schnitter. Obwohl Cyrus McCormick das Landmaschinengeschäft für einige Jahre verließ, blieb sein Schnitter, der kam, um die Landwirtschaft im Westen der Trans-Appalachen zu verändern, kam 1840 auf den Markt. Zwischen seiner eigenen Werkstatt in Virginia und einigen Lohnunternehmern in Cincinnati, Ohio, stellte McCormick 1845 150 Schnitter her. McCormick erkannte, dass eine Fabrik im Mittleren Westen den Umsatz erheblich steigern konnte , also baute er 1847 mit einem Partner eine Fabrik in Chicago. Sie stellten dort im Jahr 1848 500 mechanische Schnitter her.

Konkurrenten . Es ist wichtig zu wissen, dass Cyrus McCormick nicht der einzige Erfinder des neuen Schnitters war. Tatsächlich patentierte Obed Hussey ein Jahr vor McCormick seinen ersten Schnitter und blieb jahrelang sein Hauptkonkurrent. Es gab auch andere Konkurrenten, was den Schutz der Patente von McCormick erschwerte. McCormick ging wiederholt vor Gericht, um eine Vielzahl von Patenten zu schützen. Trotz dieser rechtlichen Hindernisse hatte McCormick bis 1850 mehr als 1.600 Schnitter produziert und 50 Prozent des amerikanischen Marktes erobert. Während in den 1850er Jahren die Zahl der von ihm produzierten Schnitter aufgrund der kontinuierlichen Nachfrage anstieg, ging sein Marktanteil zurück. Bis 1865 besaß McCormick nur 5 Prozent des Schnittermarktes. Tatsächlich erfanden und produzierten neue Wettbewerber schneller bessere Maschinen. Dennoch konkurrierte die McCormick Harvesting Machine Company auch in der letzten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts. Als Cyrus 1884 starb, übernahm sein Sohn Cyrus Jr. das Geschäft. 1902 fusionierten die McCormicks und andere große Hersteller von mechanischen Mähdreschern zu einer riesigen Firma namens International Harvester.

Auslandsumsatz . Der Erfolg von Cyrus McCormick hing von mehreren Faktoren ab. Als früher Erfinder hatte er einen Sprung auf den Markt gemacht und es gelang ihm, entscheidende Patente zu erhalten. Der gerissene McCormick wandte auch ausgeklügelte Methoden an, um seine Schnitter zu vermarkten. McCormick reiste schon früh aufs Land, um seine Maschinen während der Erntezeit bei der Arbeit zu sehen. Später halfen seine Agenten und Mechaniker, die Schnitter auf dem Feld zu reparieren. McCormick entwickelte eine Garantie auf seine Maschinen und verkaufte sie auf Kredit. Wie die Konkurrenz vermarktete er auch seine Schnitter auf landwirtschaftlichen Gesellschaften und Messen. Im Jahr 1851 reiste McCormick durch Europa, um Tests mit seinem Schnitter durchzuführen. Er war so erfolgreich, dass er sein europäisches Lob für die Werbung in seiner Heimat nutzte. Bald gingen seine Konkurrenten ins Ausland, um ihre eigenen Maschinen zu promoten.

McCormicks Vermächtnis . Große Veränderungen in der westlichen Landwirtschaft folgten der Entwicklung des McCormick-Reapers und anderer neuer Maschinen. Da die Anzahl der Hektar, die ein Bauer ernten konnte, dramatisch anstieg, wurden die Farmen im Westen immer größer. Wie bei allen technologischen Veränderungen waren einige Amerikaner von diesen Entwicklungen betroffen. Ärmere Bauernfamilien stellten oft fest, dass sie mit wohlhabenderen kommerziellen Bauern nicht konkurrieren konnten. Weniger Abhängigkeit von menschlichen Händen trieb viele Landarbeiter in die städtischen Fabriken des Landes. Zu den ökologischen Folgen zählten schließlich die Bodenerosion und die Umwandlung der amerikanischen Prärien in Gebiete mit vergleichsweise geringer Biodiversität. Vor 1860 waren solche Bedenken für viele Amerikaner noch nicht offensichtlich, und die Nation feierte stattdessen den Aufstieg einer scheinbar effizienten Großlandwirtschaft.


Cyryus Hall McCormick (1809-1884)

Virginia-Kindheit. Cyrus Hall McCormick wurde am 15. Februar 1809 in einer streng presbyterianischen Bauernfamilie im Shenandoah Valley in West-Virginia geboren. Cyrus’ Großvater zog während der amerikanischen Revolution (in der er kämpfte) von Pennsylvania nach Rockbridge Country und ließ sich dort nieder die bis ins 20. Jahrhundert im Besitz der Familie McCormick blieb. Cyrus’ Vater Robert hielt sich für so etwas wie einen Erfinder und hatte unter anderem einen Kleeschäler, einen Blasebalg für Schmieden und sogar eine Lesemaschine entworfen. Cyrus, der auf der Farm der Familie aufwuchs und, wenn es die Zeit erlaubte, eine ländliche Schule besuchte, muss sich von seinem Vater mit dem mechanischen Virus eingefangen haben. Als er zweiundzwanzig war, hatte er ein US-Patent für einen Hangpflug. Aber Cyrus nutzte seine eigenen Ideen, als es 1831 darum ging, seinen ersten Schnitter zu entwerfen und zu bauen.

Lukrativer Markt. Als McCormick (mit der Hilfe der Sklaven seines Vaters) seinen unbeholfenen neuen Apparat auf John Steeles ’ Haferfeld für ein Feld, Probefahrt, rollte, war es nicht der erste 1820er Patrick Bell aus Schottland, der eine Erntemaschine baute bis zu zehn Morgen pro Tag, ein Vielfaches dessen, was der Mensch mit der Hand tun könnte. Mit ihren kleinen Farmen und reichlich billigen Arbeitskräften hatten britische Landwirte jedoch wenig Interesse an mechanischen Erntegeräten wie dem Reaper von Bell. In Amerika hingegen war die Situation umgekehrt. Die riesige Fläche von Ackerland und das vergleichsweise knappe Angebot an Arbeitskräften verlangten nach arbeitssparenden Geräten. Vor allem Weizen musste zum richtigen Zeitpunkt geerntet werden, bevor seine Kornköpfe zu sehr reiften und ihre kostbare Fracht auf den Boden verschütteten, und da jeder ’ Weizen in einer bestimmten Region ungefähr zur gleichen Zeit reif war, wer in der entscheidenden Zeit nicht genügend Arbeitskräfte finden konnte, könnte seine gesamte Ernte verlieren. Eine preiswerte Maschine, die sicher und schnell Getreide auf dem Feld schneiden konnte, hatte das Potenzial, einen lukrativen Markt zu erschließen.

Frühe Konkurrenten. Nachdem Cyrus ’ 'erster Schnitter durch sechs Morgen Steele ’ s oats gestolpert war und dann 1832 (nach mehreren mechanischen Verbesserungen) einen weiteren größeren öffentlichen Prozess überlebte, begann McCormick, seine Maschine dicker zu machen, um Geld zu verdienen. Während der 1830er Jahre verbesserte er seinen ursprünglichen Entwurf weiter, aber andere Familienunternehmen nahmen seine Zeit in Anspruch, und er tat wenig in der Vermarktung oder Herstellung seiner Maschine, bis Obediah Hussey aus Ohio begann, einen eigenen Schnitter in der Mitte zu bauen und zu verkaufen des Jahrzehnts. Jeder Mann war unabhängig zu seinem Wunsch gekommen (Hussey ließ seinen Reaper 1833 patentieren, ein Jahr bevor McCormick sein Patent erhielt), doch Husseys Reaper arbeitete nach ähnlichen Prinzipien wie McCormicks ’s, was zu einer Quelle von Reibung und Rivalität wurde zwischen den beiden Männern. Ein Kopf-an-Kopf-Feldversuch der beiden Maschinen im Jahr 1843 erwies sich als ergebnislos, aber die Konkurrenz (sowie angesammelte Schulden von einem anderen Familienunternehmen) veranlasste Cyrus, ernsthaft mit der Produktion und dem Verkauf seiner Maschinen zu beginnen. Mit Hilfe der Familienschmiede und der Hilfe seines Vaters und seiner Brüder baute und verkaufte McCormick 1843 neunundzwanzig Schnitter und 1844 fünfzig. McCormick erkannte jedoch, dass er nur eine begrenzte Anzahl der teuren Schnitter (100 bis 150 US-Dollar) verkaufen konnte zu den Bauern der Shenandoah-Hügel mit ihren kleinen, felsigen Feldern und abgenutzten Böden.

Bewegt sich nach Westen. Im Jahr 1844 verkaufte McCormick mehrere Schnitter an Bauern in den reichen Ländern des Ohio Valley und ging Ende des Jahres selbst nach Westen, um zu sehen, ob seine Maschinen richtig montiert waren. Beim Besuch der riesigen, kürzlich besiedelten Prärie-Farmländer von Illionis, Wisconsin und Missouri beobachtete McCormick eine für seinen Schnitter maßgeschneiderte Situation, und 1847 zogen er und seine Familie in die aufstrebende Stadt Chicago. Innerhalb eines Jahres erreichten Eisenbahn und Telegraf die Stadt und Chjicago und das Versandzentrum für den gesamten Westen. McCormick stand im Epizentrum dieses Übergangs, bewaffnet mit einer Erfindung, die sich ideal für die Ernte der Prärie eignete.

Innovationen. McCormick verkaufte 1848 450 Schnitter aus seiner Fabrik in Chicago und mehr als 1.000 bis 1850, aber sein Erfolg war durchaus gesichert. Seine Patente liefen 1848 aus und öffneten das Feld für Dutzende von Wettbewerbern, von denen einige dem von McCormick überlegenen Designs überlegen waren. Außerdem zögerten Bauern, mehr als 100 Dollar für eine Maschine auszugeben, von der sie nichts wussten. McCVormick übernahm einige seiner Konkurrenten ’ Verbesserungen, wie Sitze für Fahrer und Räumer, einen besseren Mähbalken und schließlich automatische Binder, und hielt seine Preise durch Kostensenkungen in seiner Fabrik niedrig. Er war ein aggressiver und sehr prozesshafter Konkurrent. Aber McCormicks wahre Innovation kam mit seinen Marketingplänen. McCormick-Agenten demonstrierten seinen Schnitter auf Landwirtschaftsmessen im gesamten Mittleren Westen und stellten die Maschinen in Wettbewerben, die große Menschenmengen anzogen, gegen die anderer Unternehmen. Er schrieb seine eigenen Anzeigen, in denen er die Tugenden seines “ Virginia Reaper ” lobte (oft mit Erfahrungsberichten von Landwirten) und gleichzeitig zeigte, wie einfach und profitabel es war, sein Gerät zu verwenden. Er organisierte ein System von Handelsvertretern, die Schnitter auf Kommission verkauften, aber auch dafür verantwortlich waren, die Maschinen zu reparieren und die Bauern in deren Betrieb zu unterweisen. Schließlich bot er seine Schnitter auf einem Kredit-Ratenplan zum Verkauf an, der es einem Bauern ermöglichte, im Frühjahr eine Anzahlung zu leisten, die Maschine zum Einbringen der Ernte zu verwenden und dann den Rest der Kosten bis Dezember zu bezahlen. Unterstützt durch den raschen Ausbau des Schienennetzes und einen starken Anstieg der Weizenpreise verkaufte McCormick Mitte der 1850er Jahre über viertausend Schnitter pro Jahr und bis 1860 insgesamt achttausend. Im Jahr 1851 gewann der Schnitter den begehrten Council Medal bei der London Crystal Palace Exhibition McCormick nutzte diesen günstigen Moment, um ein Vertriebsnetz im Ausland aufzubauen.

Letzten Jahren. Nach eigener Aussage lebte McCormick für sein Reaper-Geschäft. “ Ich habe einen Zweck im Leben, ” sagte er, “ den Erfolg und die weit verbreitete Nutzung meiner Maschinen. Alle anderen Angelegenheiten sind für mich zu unbedeutend, um berücksichtigt zu werden. ” McCormick rauchte weder, noch rauchte er und heiratete erst im mittleren Alter, obwohl er und seine Frau noch sieben Kinder bekamen, von denen eines, Cyrus Jr., die Firma übernahm. Er trug viel zur Demokratischen Partei bei, war Mitglied des Nationalkomitees der Partei und kandidierte mehrmals (erfolglos) für ein Amt, einmal für den Vizepräsidenten. Als einer der ersten Industriemagnaten Amerikas investierte McCormick in Eisenbahnen, Minen und andere Geschäftsaktivitäten und wurde Direktor im Vorstand der riesigen Union Pacific Railway. Als lebenslanger strenger Presbyterianer spendete McCormick auch große Geldsummen an die Kirche und das Presbyterian Theological Seminary of Chicago (bis 1928 McCormick Theological Seminary genannt). Trotz all dieser Aktivitäten blieb die McCormick Harvesting Machine Company (1879 gegründet und 1902 mit anderen Firmen zu International Harvester zusammengeschlossen) die zentrale Institution in seinem Leben. Bis zu seinem Tod im Jahr 1884 war er weiterhin als Präsident des Unternehmens tätig und überwachte die Verbesserungen bei der Herstellung und dem Design des McCormick-Reapers.


Chicagoer Unternehmergeschichte: Die McCormick Brothers und der Aufstieg des Megacorps

Das Thema der McCormick-Brüder und ihre Entwicklung des „Virginia Reaper“ und des späteren Chicagoer Mischkonzerns International Harvester ruft unzählige Ironien und unbeabsichtigte Konsequenzen in der amerikanischen Geschichte hervor. Hier nur einige: Die Sklavenhalter des Südens erheben die Nordstaaten durch die Produktion von Überschussgetreide und die Schaffung von Überschussarbeitskräften zu einem entscheidenden Industrie- und Arbeitskräftevorteil im Bürgerkrieg. Vor allem dank der Erfindung der McCormicks, zum Beispiel, exportierte der Norden während des Bürgerkriegs 200 Millionen Scheffel Getreide nach Europa, indem er die Arbeit aller Getreidebauern erleichterte und ihre krummen Rücken richtete, beschleunigen die gutmeinenden Virginianer die Urbanisierung und Industrialisierung ihrer Nation . Diese Kräfte zerstören ihrerseits ihre geliebte agrarische Lebensweise Jefferson und verwandeln die Bauern in eine urige, verschwindende Rasse.

DIE McCORMICK BROTHERS, GESCHÄFTSVISIONÄRE

Cyrus, William und Leander McCormick haben zu ihren Lebzeiten nichts Geringeres getan, als die Landwirtschaft zu revolutionieren und eine völlig neue Industrie zu definieren. Sie beendeten die jahrhundertelange Getreideernte von Hand – mit Sichel, Sense und Wiege. Auf diese Weise wurden sie Millionäre, die anerkannten Giganten des neuen Landmaschinengeschäfts und weltweit ein Begriff. Aber warum waren es die McCormick-Brüder, die einen langjährigen Bedarf an arbeitssparenden Maschinen auf der Farm befriedigten? Wer hat menschlichen Muskel durch tierischen Muskel ersetzt? Was die McCormicks von ihren Rivalen und Konkurrenten abhob und sie an die Spitze des Wandels setzte, war ihre Beherrschung der Sprachen der Erfindung, des Marketings und der Organisation, eine seltene Kombination von Gaben. Wie wenige haben die Erfindung ihres Vaters, den ersten praktischen mechanischen Schnitter, erfolgreich auf den Markt gebracht. Dazu mussten sie neue und originelle Methoden für den Verkauf, die Werbung und den Vertrieb ihres Produkts einführen. Es gab niemanden zum Nachahmen. Sie wären die Geschäftsleute, die andere nachahmen würden, ein Vorbild für die zukünftige Automobilindustrie.

Das unternehmerische Genie der McCormicks offenbarte sich auf vielfältige Weise. Nennen wir es „Das McCormick-System“. Ihre Kultur war eine neue Geschäftskultur, ein Ausdruck des Einfallsreichtums der Südstaaten und nicht der bekannteren Einfallsreichtum der Yankees, der bei William Deering und John Deere zu finden war. Die neuartigen Techniken der McCormicks stürzten die Tradition des „caveat emptor“ und ersetzten Vertrauen, Verantwortlichkeit, Markenwiedererkennung und Kundenwillen. Um den Markt für ihre Maschine zu vergrößern, führten die Brüder einige geniale Geräte ein. Ein starker Anreiz war ihre sogenannte „kostenlose Testversion“, eine schriftliche Garantie bei jedem Verkauf, eine Geld-zurück-Garantie einer vollständigen Rückerstattung, wenn ihr Produkt nicht zufriedenstellend funktionierte. Ein ähnlicher Anreiz war ihr „Ratenkaufplan“. 1849 verkauften sie ihren 120-Dollar-Reaper zu folgenden Bedingungen an Bauern: 30 Dollar bei Lieferung vor der Ernte und die restlichen 90 Dollar zuzüglich 6% Zinsen bis zum 1. Dezember. (Alle Versand- und Frachtkosten gingen übrigens zu Lasten des Käufers .) Offensichtlich waren die Brüder bereit, große, noch nie dagewesene finanzielle Risiken einzugehen, um ihr Produkt zu vermarkten.

Aber es war nicht annähernd das Glücksspiel, das man meinen könnte. Sie scheinen große Forderungen in ihre Preis- und Gewinnberechnungen miteinbezogen zu haben. Von 1849 bis 1858 stiegen die überfälligen und unbezahlten Rechnungen auf über 400.000 US-Dollar an, was möglicherweise katastrophal wäre, wenn sie nicht rund 150 % Gewinn pro Schnitter gemacht hätten.9 Darüber hinaus standardisierten sie ihre hohe Gewinnspanne, indem sie einen Preis festlegten, der veröffentlicht wurde, fest und nicht verhandelbar war. Es durfte weder mit dem Kunden feilschen noch verhandeln, noch irgendwelche Sonderrabatte. Alle zahlten den gleichen Preis.

Eine weitere Innovation der McCormicks war der „Feldversuch“, ein besonders effektives Werbe- und Werbemittel im ländlichen Amerika. Die Brüder veranstalteten für die Zuschauer kostenlose öffentliche Wettbewerbe von konkurrierenden Schnitterherstellern. Tatsächlich investierten sie viel in Werbung aller Art und veröffentlichten sogar eine Fachzeitschrift, die von ihrem Agentennetzwerk in Umlauf gebracht wurde und eine große Leserschaft unter den Landwirten erreichte. Sie nahmen an zahlreichen staatlichen Messen und Ausstellungen teil, um „Alt Zuverlässig“ zu demonstrieren. Die gewonnenen Preise und Auszeichnungen im In- und Ausland haben dazu beigetragen, dass „McCormick“ zu einem universellen Markennamen wurde, lange bevor Branding ein Unternehmenswahn war. Diese Popularität ermöglichte es den McCormicks, mehr für ihre Maschinen zu verlangen und ihren Agenten niedrigere Provisionen zu zahlen.

In den Anfangsjahren schufen die McCormicks ein Netzwerk von ausgebildeten Agenten, die durch exklusive Verträge und exklusive Territorien an sie gebunden waren. Sie bestellten, erhielten, lieferten und reparierten die von ihnen hergestellten Schnitter. Später, in den 1880er Jahren, wurden die auf Provisionsbasis arbeitenden regionalen Agenten durch angestellte Manager ersetzt, die Franchise-Händler beaufsichtigten. Die Organisation war erstklassig.

Die Eingeborenen von Rockbridge County, Virginia, wussten auch, wie sie die Ideen und Erfindungen anderer zu ihrem kommerziellen Vorteil nutzen konnten. Offensichtlich stimulierte ihre Erfindung die Erfindung ausgeklügelterer Landmaschinen durch diejenigen mit mehr Erfindungsreichtum, als sie besaßen. Mit allen folgenden technologischen Verbesserungen hielten sie beharrlich Schritt: Atkins’s Self-Rake Reaper, der Harvester der Marsh Brothers Withington’s Wire Self-Binder und Deering’s Twine Self-Binder. Sie waren auch Erfinder und Kreditnehmer. Bill Gates könnte die Wiedergeburt der McCormick-Brüder sein. Die Ähnlichkeiten in ihren jeweiligen Strategien und Taktiken sind auffallend.

Wie der Biograf von Cyrus Hall McCormick, William T. Hutchinson, ziemlich überzeugend betont hat, „sind ihre Tage als Erfinder mit seinem Patent von 1847 zu Ende gegangen“. Danach kauften sie geschickt Patente, Patentrechte und Lizenzen von anderen und zahlten bei Bedarf Lizenzgebühren, während ihre sachkundigen Anwälte vor Gericht in endlosen „Patentkriegen“ mit ihren Rivalen kämpften. Ihre Jahre im Geschäft waren voller Rechtsstreitigkeiten. Sie waren unerschrocken.

Die inspirierendste Entscheidung der McCormicks, die 1847 getroffen wurde, bestand darin, das Zentrum ihrer Operationen nach Westen zu verlegen, vom Shenandoah Valley nach Chicago. Sie erkannten, dass die Zukunft des Schnitters in den Great Plains und an der Westgrenze lag. Indem sie zuerst dort ankamen, „ergriffen“ sie einen großen Teil des heimischen Marktes. Auch dies war ein großes Wagnis, denn Chicago war damals noch weit entfernt von dem Eisenbahnknotenpunkt, der es später wurde. Ihr Schnitter ging der Eisenbahn nach Chicago um drei Jahre voraus. Tatsächlich gründeten sie ihre Produktionsstätte in Chicago, BEVOR der Telegraf, die Kanäle und die Eisenbahn in dieser Stadt mit 17.000 Einwohnern ankamen. Die McCormicks setzten auf ihre Zukunft und gewannen im Lotto. Das Wachstum ihres Unternehmens und Chicagos Wachstum waren für den Rest des Jahrhunderts und darüber hinaus miteinander verflochten. Die McCormick-Brüder waren die ersten großen Industriellen Chicagos, die Geschäftsleute, denen die größte Fabrik gehörte.

Der Wechsel der McCormicks auf den „Präriemarkt“ beendete die Ära der dezentralisierten Unterfertigung, die in Orten wie Brockport, New York und Cincinnati in beunruhigender Weise durch unzureichende Aufsicht, Unzuverlässigkeit und schlechte Qualitätskontrolle gekennzeichnet war. Mit der Zentralisierung der Produktion in Chicago begannen ständige Überwachung, Verbesserungen der Herstellungsverfahren und Skaleneffekte. Da die Innovationen der McCormicks in Marketing und Vertrieb viele der schwierigsten Probleme bei der Massenverteilung des Schnitters gelöst hatten, wie man einen nationalen Bauernmarkt durchdringen konnte, konnte ihre erste Fabrik in Chicago das Produktionsproblem mit großer Kraft angreifen Skala. Als die Massenproduktion mit dem Massenvertrieb integriert wurde, debütierte die megacorp im Bereich Landmaschinen. Und die Straße zum International Harvester wurde erstmals beleuchtet.

McCORMICKS ERSTE CHICAGO-FABRIK, 1848 – 1871

Between 1848 and 1871 the McCormick brothers regularly enlarged and improved their Chicago plant, which was designed with ready access to water and rail transportation. Comprised of both wood-working and iron-working departments, as well as a paint shop, and with docks on the Chicago River for receiving raw materials and shipping finished products, it was built to control costs. At first, some parts of the 1,200 pound reaper were manufactured elsewhere: sickles in Massachusetts guard fingers in New Jersey iron castings on the other side of Chicago. Raw materials arrived from all over the country and the world white ash lumber from Michigan pig iron from Pittsburgh and Scotland steel from England. But the story of the next half-century was one of integration, of lowering costs by eliminating more and more outside suppliers and middlemen. By 1870, the McCormicks were producing 10,000 machines annually at the Chicago factory.

CONTINGENCY IN AMERICAN BUSINESS HISTORY
1871 MARKED AN IMPORTANT TURNING POINT IN THE HISTORY OF THE McCORMICK COMPANY.

The Great Chicago Fire of that year proved both a terrible misfortune, as the original factory complex burned to the ground with great financial loss, and a perverse twist of good luck. Contingency is a powerful force in the life of an institution. Without “The Fire,” one can readily imagine a different fate for the McCormick brothers, Cyrus and Leander, brother William having died in 1865. Led by Leander, they relocated and rebuilt in a visionary fashion, with allowances made for prodigious future growth, the McCormicks obtained additional advantages over their competitors through the most up-to-date equipment, greater economies of scale, and wholesale efficiencies.

Thereafter, at the vast 230-acre “McCormick City,” which employed 1,400 workers in 1884 and whose main factory building was ten times the size of its predecessor, the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company, which replaced the old partnership, C.H. & L.J. McCormick, in 1879, operated furnaces and foundries, produced its own iron, ran sawmills and the largest twine mill in the world, and even manufactured its own bolts and nuts. The company also purchased mines and forests to assure steady supplies for its furnaces and sawmills. In time, virtually every part of the McCormick harvesting machines would be made at this complex.12 “McCormick City” anticipated Henry Ford’s industrial colossus at the River Rouge by twenty-five years. What was needed to transform “McCormick City” into the River Rouge was another technological breakthrough, the moving assembly line.

“McCormick City” liberated supply. Production doubled between 1870 and 1880. Between 1880 and 1884, when Cyrus McCormick died and his son Cyrus, Jr. took over management of the company, output nearly trebled. By 1891, annual output approached four times its 1880 figure.

THE CREATION OF INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER

America’s very first outbreak of “merger mania” occurred between 1898 and 1902. Over that span 212 major consolidations took place in American industry. One of those mergers involved the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company. In 1902, it combined with its chief competitor, William Deering & Co. and three smaller rivals, to create the megacorp, International Harvester. With assets of $110 million, and control of 85% of U. S. production of harvesting machines, IH was “a virtual monopoly.” By 1909, it was the fourth largest corporation in America, as well as the largest farm equipment company in the world. The corporate behemoth rested securely on foundations put firmly in place by the McCormick brothers. In recognition of their central role in the creation of International Harvester, the remaining McCormick heirs received 43% of the new company’s stock. And Cyrus, Jr., was chosen its first President.

According to Alfred Chandler, the dean of business historians, the initiative for the merger came from U. S. Steel and the Morgan bankers who dominated that corporate giant. Elbert Gary, head of U. S. Steel, feared that both the McCormick and Deering firms intended to build their own steel rolling mills, depriving him thereby of lucrative contracts and valuable customers. Gary’s efforts coincided with a readiness on the parts
of William Deering and Cyrus McCormick, Jr. to halt, once and for all, the fierce, cutthroat competition that troubled their industry.

Today, the once great conglomerate, International Harvester, is no longer extant—having been undermined by the competitors, such as John Deere, in the early 1980s. By the end of it’s life, the company produced a variety of products but focused primarily on farming equipment, small and heavy-duty trucks, and construction equipment, a massive organization which worked well in good times, but prevented the company from innovating during times of economic strain. International Harvester was split up into three separate companies, Navistar, Case IH (Fiat), McCormick Tractors, and Cub Cadet. Despite the break-up, the legacy of the McCormicks and of International Harvester lives on in the immense philanthropic gifts, most of which can be seen on the walls of the great Chicago and Virginia institutions, as well as countless McCormick-International Harvester aficionados across the country, who still consider McCormick the first name in farming.

1Robert Hall McCormick, had nine slaves. On the eve of the Civil War Cyrus owned “three or four” slaves, property which he hired out to his Walnut Grove neighbors while he lived in Chicago. See William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Seedtime, 1809 – 1856 (New York, 1930), 17 William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Harvest, 1856 – 1884 (New York, 1935), 38. Hereafter, cited as Vol. I and Vol. II.
2Herbert N. Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: His Life and Work (Chicago, 1909), 192.
3AlLeander made “long annual visits” to the Shenandoah Valley of his youth and Cyrus was elected in 1880 as the first president of the Virginia Society of Chicago. Hutchinson, Vol. II, 37 (fn. 1).
6Chapter Two, “A Legacy in the Heartland,” in Barbara Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy: The Agony of International Harvester Company (New York, 1985), 15 – 34, and Chapter Three, “Cyrus McCormick,” in Harold C. Livesay, American Made: Men Who Shaped the American Economy (Boston, 1979), shed abundant light on McCormick’s business innovations. Alfred D. Chandler’s The Visible Hand: The Managerial Revolution in American Business (Cambridge, MA., 1977), 305 – 7, 402 – 3, 406 – 11, details McCormick’s role in the “managerial revolution” that swept American industry in the late nineteenth century.
7Richard S. Tedlow, Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built (New York, 2001), 1. McCormick did qualify for inclusion in Daniel Gross, Forbes Greatest Business Stories of All Time (New York, 1966). See “Cyrus McCormick’s Reaper and the Industrialization of Farming,” 22 – 38.
8Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick, 80.
7
9Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 23 Hutchinson, Vol. I, 249.
10James Wallace and Jim Erickson, Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire (New York, 1992), 117, 135, 269, 342, 352, 381, 390.
11Hutchinson, Vol. II, 360. 12Casson is especially informative about the development of “McCormick City.” 13Chandler, The Visible Hand, 306 – 7. 14Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 4, 41 – 2 Chandler, The Visible Hand, 408 – 9.


Death of Cyrus McCormick

Inventor and businessman Cyrus McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in Chicago, Illinois.

Cyrus Hall McCormick was born on February 15, 1809, in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. He was the oldest of eight children born to inventor Robert McCormick, Jr. Around the same time Cyrus was born, his father began working on a design for a mechanical reaper. He spent 28 years working on the design but never managed to make it right. So Cyrus went on to take up the project himself.

McCormick worked with Jo Anderson on the design. While some machines were designed to be pushed by horses, McCormick worked on a machine that would be pulled by horses and cut the grain on one side of the team. In 1831, McCormick held one of the first demonstrations of his new machine. He said he had developed the finalized version in 18 months. McCormick was then granted the patent for his reaper on June 21, 1834.

US #891 – Klassischer Ersttagsbrief.

During this time, McCormick and his family also had a blacksmith and metal smelting business, which nearly went bankrupt during the Panic of 1837. McCormick began holding more demonstrations of his machine, but most local farmers thought it was unreliable. McCormick continued to improve on his original design and eventually began to sell more – seven in 1842, then 29 in 1843, and 50 in 1844. The following year, he got another patent for the improvements made to the reaper.

US #891 – Rubber Stamp Cachet First Day Cover.

Up until this point, the machines were all built in the family farm shop. But McCormick soon realized that he was receiving orders for reapers from out west, where the farms were larger and flatter. McCormick then contracted to have his machines mass-produced at a factory in New York. In 1847, he and his brother opened their own factory in Chicago. The business prospered after that, aided by railroads that could help deliver the machines and replacement parts much quicker than ever before.

Item #81883 – Commemorative cover marking McCormick’s 179th birthday.

In 1851, McCormick took his reaper to the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London. His reaper successfully harvested a field while the Hussey machine (Obed Hussey who had a competing patent claim) failed. McCormick then won a gold medal and was admitted to the Legion of Honor, but also found out he had lost a court challenge of Hussey’s patent. By 1856, McCormick’s factory was producing over 4,000 reapers per year. Then in 1871, the factory burned down during the Great Chicago Fire, but he rebuilt it and reopened in 1873.

US #982 was issued for the 200th anniversary of Washington and Lee University.

McCormick was a devout Presbyterian all his life and committed much of his time and money to helping others. He helped create the Theological Seminary of the Northwest (later named the McCormick Theological Seminary) and donated $10,000 to help start the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). McCormick and his wife also donated money to Tusculum College and helped create churches and Sunday Schools in the South after the Civil War. During the last 20 years of his life, McCormick was a benefactor and served on the board of trustees for Washington and Lee University.

After suffering a stroke in 1880, McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in his home in Chicago. He received many honors during and after his life – the French named him an Officer of the Legion of Honor and he was elected to the French Academy of Sciences for “having done more for the cause of agriculture than any other living man.” Many credit McCormick’s reaper with reducing human labor on farms, increasing productivity, and being a driving force in the industrialization of agriculture in dozens of nations.


McCormick County History

Hunters, traders and drovers coming into the area that is now McCormick County in the early 1700s discovered an unspoiled, enchanting, wilderness paradise. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

The hills were forested with short-leaf pines and oaks, interspersed with cedars, persimmons, cherries, and locusts. Along the streams grew walnuts, cottonwoods, birches, hickories, and maples. Chestnuts, oaks, and poplars along the streams often grew to exceed seventy feet or more in height. The crystal-clear streams teemed with catfish, perch, bass, bream, and shad. Beavers, raccoons, otters, and muskrats trailed their banks. The soil was deemed ordinary when canes grew no higher than a man’s head but fertile when the canes attained a height of twenty or thirty feet. The land was the Native American hunter’s bonanza. It thronged with turkey, ducks, quail, geese, eagles, hawks, owls, songbirds, and wild animals – rabbits, squirrels, opossums, foxes, bobcats, wolves, and cougars. Buffalo, deer, and black bear abounded. The shaggy buffalo would later lend its name to locales like Buffalo Creek, Little Buffalo Creek, and Buffalo Baptist Church in the county. A hunter from Ninety-Six reported counting more than a hundred buffaloes grazing on a single acre near Long Cane Creek. Herds of deer numbering sixty and seventy roamed the natural habitat. A Cherokee hunter often killed two hundred deer in a year. In a good year tribesmen sold more than two hundred thousand deerskins to traders from Charles Town. In a single autumn, a hunter could kill enough black bear to salt down three thousand pounds of meat. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

John Stevens maintained cow-pens near the crossing of the Cherokee Path, over Stevens Creek in 1715. The Cherokees called the Cherokee Path, “Suwali-Nana”. Stevens’ cow-pens lended the name for the creek. Likewise, cow-pens located on Cuffeytown Creek led to the creation of a trading post, probably called “Cuffey Town”, that was situated on the east side of the stream just above the bridge on U. S. Route 378, near Longmires, presently the Hollingsworth home. In 1756, George Bussey took up a 900-acre tract of land on Horn’s Creek below Stevens Creek. In the same year John Scott, formerly of Cuffeytown Creek, moved to Stevens Creek, where five years later he was made a justice of the peace. The Stevens Creek settlement was a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek encompassing lower present-day McCormick County.

The 1747 treaty set the new Indian boundary at Long Cane Creek. It clearly stipulated that there would be no settling north of the boundary. The immediate effect of the treaty was to open land for settling along the Indian path.

Scots-Irish Arrive in the Long Canes

After General Edward Braddock’s defeat in 1755 during the French and Indian War, the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania were exposed to great danger from the French at Fort Duquesne on the Ohio River, and their Indians allies. Bands of warring Indians ravaged the frontiers populated mostly by Scots-Irish. Settlers evacuated the countryside. To escape the atrocities, five Scots-Irish families made their way down the Great Wagon Road from Virginia to the Waxhaws. The Calhouns – four brothers James, Ezekiel, William and Patrick, their sister Mary, widow of John Noble, and their mother Catherine. At the Waxhaws, they were induced by a band of hunters to visit the Long Canes in the Ninety-Six District. The hunters gave a glowing description of the Long Canes. The Calhouns arrived in the Long Canes (present-day McCormick County) in February 1756. They settled at a site on the east side of Long Cane Creek, where they built a palisade fort called Fort Long Canes. The site was less than a mile from present-day Long Cane A.R.P. Church, and two miles west of Troy. Before the end of the year the Calhouns crossed Long Cane Creek and relocated a few miles to the north to the Flatwoods on Little River (near present-day Mt. Carmel). The Flatwoods was located in Cherokee hunting lands. Their nearest neighbors were Robert Gouedy, a Scots-Irish Indian trader at Ninety-Six, and Andrew Williamson, a Scot cattle drover on Hard Labor Creek. The Calhouns assured the provincial government that they had secured permission of the Cherokees to settle there. How true it was cannot be ascertained. However, according the 1747 treaty the land was not legally open for settlement.

The Calhouns quickly petitioned for land grants and received hundreds of acres in the Flatwoods on Little River. Patrick Calhoun secured a deputation as land surveyor. Surveying these tracts began the near monopoly of land surveying that he held for seven years. They cleared land, planted crops and accumulated poultry, cattle, hogs, horses, and mules. These five pioneer families opened the way for development of the Long Canes. From the beginning the Calhouns were people of substance. Other Scots-Irish Presbyterian settlers followed the Calhouns down the Great Wagon Road from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Many of them were relatives and former neighbors of the Calhouns. Most, like the Calhouns, had originally settled in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, and had moved on into Virginia when settling became crowded. By 1759 the number of families had increased to twenty or thirty. Among those who located in Long Canes early were the Arthur Patton family, and the families Alexander, Anderson, Houston, Norris, and Pickens. “Squire” Patrick Calhoun, the family patriarch, was appointed a justice of the peace and became a prosperous farmer and the undisputed leader of the Calhoun Settlement in the Long Canes. In 1769, Calhoun was seated, albeit not without great effort, as a representative for Prince William Parish as the region’s first representative in the Royal Assembly in Charles Town. In 1775, he was elected from Ninety-Six District to the First Provincial Congress. William Calhoun was also commissioned a justice of the peace. He built a store on his place and carried on a lively trade with his white neighbors and with Cherokee Indians. The Indians brought deerskins, bear and beaver hides, ginseng, and other herbs, which they traded for guns and powder, farm tools and implements, household items, cloth and ribbons.

The Huguenots

The Huguenots were French Calvinists or French Reformed Protestants. Like the Scottish Presbyterians, they were followers of John Calvin, French religious reformer. The New Bordeaux colony was settled primarily by two separate groups: the first in 1764 under the leadership of Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, the second by fate in 1768. Early in the second half of the eighteenth century, Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, condemned to death by the French government seven years earlier for his Calvinist preaching, organized the migration for the New Bordeaux colony from his London base. British King George III’s interest in financing the Huguenot settlement was for bringing about quick settlement of the South Carolina back country following the Cherokee War of 1760. His Commissioners designated a location in the thinly settled back country, the strategy being to create a buffer to protect the Charleston tidewater area against Indian uprisings.

The sailing vessel slid out of the harbor, and headed northward toward the English Channel and Plymouth, England, on August 9, 1763. The Friendship dropped anchor in Charles Town, South Carolina on the 12th of April 1764. The town of New Bordeaux was planned and built in the design typical of a French village on Little River. Log homes were built on half-acre lots in neat rows along narrow streets. Once situated, the Huguenots immediately adopted a local governmental council consisting of five members – the justice of peace, the minister, and the three officers of the village militia. North of the village were the family, four-acre vineyard lots stretching along gentle slopes toward the river. On these mini-farms the Huguenots developed olive groves and grape vineyards. On the same lots they cultivated garden crops such as maize (Indian corn), potatoes, beans, and cabbage.

Four years later, contrary winds caused another group of colonists to join the already established settlement at New Bordeaux. Jean Louis Dumesnil de St. Pierre, a French Huguenot refugee living in London, conceived a plan to establish a colony in North America to cultivate a wine and silk industry on a commercial scale. He petitioned King George III for land to settle upon on. The British monarch approved the scheme and promised St. Pierre a land grant of 40,000 acres on Cape Sable Island near Halifax in Nova Scotia. After more than three years of preparation and anticipation, St. Pierre and his French and German protestant colonists boarded the St. Peter in London harbor for a perilous voyage bound for Cape Sable Island in Nova Scotia. They departed on September 26, 1767. When not long at sea, the St. Peter began to encounter choppy waters. Increasingly brisk winds began to lash the vessel in this record-breaking early winter season. As the weeks passed into months, gale after gale brought the fury of rain and hail and bitter-cold, winter winds. Ten of the colonists who died of scurvy in-route were forever entombed in frigid watery graves. By the first day of January 1768, the St. Peter was situated, “at latitude 41° north,” according to St. Pierre’s journal, which described the ship as “being very leaky and the Colonists reduced to three pounds of bread for nine days and very sick of the scurvy, they did oblige (him) to bear and put into the harbour of Charles Town.” The helmsman steered the brigantine carrying the colonists toward Charles Town, South Carolina. Better weather prevailed. Nearly six weeks later, the St. Peter limped into the seaport on February 10, 1768. In Charles Town, Lord Charles Montagu encouraged St. Pierre to settle his Protestant colonists in the South Carolina back country with the French Huguenots at New Bordeaux. Huguenot Parkway at Sheridan.

The German Palatines

Johann Heinrich Christian, Sieur de Stumpel was a German of high position. For several months he enlisted Germans who turned over everything of value to de Stumpel’s agent – homes, land, and personal property. A good portion of the colonists were from the area called the German Palatinate – the entire group has usually been referred to as “Palatines.” The riverboats arrived. De Stumpel’s plan was set into motion. The boats slid along the Rhine River picking up German emigrants who had assembled at numerous points. The voyagers were conveyed down the Rhine to the seaport of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. At Rotterdam the excited Germans boarded ships. The ships set sail upon the open sea. There was great jubilation among the passengers as they lost sight of land. They expected to touch port briefly in England where Sieur de Stumpel would be waiting to pay for passage and to make the final arrangements for their settlement in Nova Scotia, and then to put to sea for the journey to the Americas. Finally, after a year of soulful deliberation, apprehension, preparation, and severance from the land of their birth, these bold-spirited German colonists were on the way – Auf dem Weg zum Schlaraffenland! (On the way to the “wonderland!”) So they thought! When the ships docked in London in late August everything went out of whack. Sieur de Stumpel was nowhere to be found, and there was no sign of any agent who might be working for him. The shipmasters were enraged. They demanded passage money. The refugees had none. The Germans were mercilessly thrown off the ships, and their baggage was confiscated. They had no food, no money, no clothes, and no way of communicating with the English-speaking people gawking at them. And they had no leader in their group. They were totally destitute! Finally, leaving the wharf, the bedraggled refugees struggled past the warehouses and into a road that led them to Whitechapel Fields where they sat down along the common. That night a cold rain drenched them. For two days they had no food. Their luck changed a little when an English baker saw them and brought them loaves of bread. After several days without food, except for the loaves, word of their destitution reached the Reverend Gustav Anthon Wachsel, pastor of the new German Lutheran church in London called St. George’s. The church had been built by the pastor’s uncle, a rich German named Beckmann, for the many Germans working in sugar refineries of the neighborhood. The pastor caused the state of their wretched plight to be published in a London newspaper, and immediately went to the aid of the refugees. His parish quickly mobilized and began relief work. The military raised tents to reduce their exposure to the weather. By this time there had already been deaths among the emigrants. As a result of the newspaper coverage, Lord Halifax directed an appeal to the King to intervene and to settle the German Palatines in America. Sieur de Stumpel never showed up. Nor did his agent. After several weeks, the refugees were told that they would be settled in South Carolina. London’s Gentlemen’s Magazine for Tuesday, September 13, 1764, wrote, “In compliance with a petition for that purpose, his Majesty has been graciously pleased to order, that the Palatines now so liberally provided for shall be sent to, and established in Carolina, for which purpose 150 stand of arms have been already delivered out for their use and contracts were made for their immediate transportation.”

Six weeks later vessels with German refugees aboard lifted anchor, and set sail from London, bound for Charles Town, South Carolina. Ihre Reise war wiederum im Fortschritt! (Their journey was under way once again.) The Dragon, commanded by Francis Hammot dropped anchor on the night of December 13, 1764. After nine weeks at sea the voyage was over.

As instructed, Patrick Calhoun built the large community house near Hard Labor Creek. It served as a “center” until the settlers could get settled on their individual tracts of land. In February 1765, the rest of the German colonists arrived in Charles Town aboard Captain Lonley’s Planter’s Adventure. The Lieutenant Governor intended to settle the Germans very near the French Huguenots of New Bordeaux, and the Scots-Irish of the Long Canes. But, upon learning of the still present threat of Indian raids, the German Palatines chose to settle several miles southeasterly. A township containing some 25,000 acres was laid out, and named Londonborough in honor of their London benefactors. The German colonists selected lands in the vicinity of Hard Labor Creek, Cuffeytown Creek, Horsepen Creek, Sleepy Creek, Rocky Creek, Mountain Creek, and Turkey Creek.

Afroamerikaner entered the county early. About 1755, John Scott, a Scots-Irish trader with at least five African slaves, took up a tract of land. His son Samuel Scott established a ferry on Savannah River near the present-day town of Clarks Hill. Other settlers, including George Bussey, brought slaves with them, and located in that same valley that came to be known as Stevens Creek settlement – a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek.

At about the same time, John Chevis, a free black carpenter from Virginia, with a wife, nine children, and a foundling infant, was granted a tract of land on Little River, five miles above its junction with Long Cane Creek. It appears that Chevis had initially come into the Stevens Creek settlement.

By the beginning of the American Revolution there were African slaves in Stevens Creek, the Long Canes and New Bordeaux settlements, and other areas of present day McCormick County. In 1790, one fourth of the white families owned slaves.

The Long Cane Indian Massacre

February 1, 1760, was a cold, winter day in the Calhoun settlement at Long Canes in present-day McCormick County. During the morning, the settlers received the alarm of an impending attack planned by Indian warriors from the Lower Towns and the Middle Towns of the Cherokee Nation. Risking her life, Cateechee, a Cherokee maiden, rode some seventy miles on horseback from her Keowee home in the Lower Towns to warn settlers. The daring dash by Cateechee probably saved the Long Canes settlement from total annihilation.

The settlers of Long Canes hastily began preparations to flee some sixty miles south to Tobler’s Fort at Beech Island in New Windsor Township, just across the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia. Within hours of the warning a first group of over a hundred persons left the Long Canes and would reach Tobler’s Fort unmolested. Shortly thereafter the rest of the settlers moved out in a wagon train of about 150 persons. Travel was hampered due to the ground being soggy wet from recent rainy weather. After traveling a few miles, they reached Long Cane Creek where they experienced great difficulty in crossing the creek and climbing the hill on the east side. By that time, it was late and the decision was made to make camp for the night.

Meanwhile, a Cherokee war party of about a hundred Indian braves, reportedly led by Chief Big Sawny and Chief Sunaratehee, arrived at the Long Canes settlement and found it abandoned. They pursued the trail of the settlers for a while and decided to cease pursuit. At the moment, they were about to turn around, they faintly heard shouts of the fleeing settlers as they probably were making the creek crossing. The war party quickly resumed pursuit, crossed the creek at another site and went into hiding. When at their most defenseless moment, the Indians attacked. The campsite was at once a scene of total pandemonium. In the wild confusion only a few of the fifty-five to sixty fighting men could lay hand on their guns. Women and children scrambled for any available cover and became separated. Casualties among the settlers mounted very quickly. The men were able to hold off the attacking Indians for no more than a half-hour. Realizing the futility of further resistance, the surviving settlers, aided by then night, assembled as best they could and fled on horses, leaving behind the wagons containing all their earthly possessions. In the short half-hour, the Long Canes settlers suffered fifty-six killed and a number taken captive. The Cherokee raiding party sustained twenty-one killed and a number wounded. Among the killed was Chief Sunaratehee. 2 mi. west of Troy, Sec. Rd. 36, Rd. 341.

The Battle of Long Canes was fought by Patriot militia against British and Loyalist forces on the east side of the creek December 12, 1780 during the Revolutionary War. 2 mi. west of Troy on Sec. Rd. 36.

Wien, the first commercial center in present-day McCormick County, is now a ghost town under the waters of Lake Thurmond. Located five miles southeast of present-day Mt. Carmel, Vienna was one of three thriving sister cities that developed on Savannah River in the late 1700s. Opposite on the Georgia side in the fork between Savannah and Broad rivers was Petersburg, and on the south side of Broad River and Savannah fork was Lisbon, both in then Wilkes County. The location of the three towns where two rivers met was a great advantage in water transportation. Yet the trade centers needed land transportation for bringing in the products of plantations, especially tobacco and cotton to be shipped and for travel. The towns were made accessible for wheeled conveyances, and became the location where land travel from western South Carolina and from the north and east of upper Georgia crossed. An integrated stage line from Milledgeville, Georgia to Washington, D. C., ran through Petersburg and Vienna as did a United States mail route. Flat boats called Petersburg Boats carried loads of tobacco, cotton, and flour down river to Augusta. Two ferries provided constant service across the River. Westward migration brought a drastic decline in the prosperity of Vienna and her sister cities Petersburg and Lisbon by the early 1820s. The town government of the dying town was abandoned in 1831. 5 mi. southwest of Mt Carmel, at end of Sec. Rd. 91, under water.

John de la Howe, (1710–1797) a French physician, came to South Carolina ca. 1764 and settled in the New Bordeaux French Huguenot community. His will left most of his estate, including Lethe Plantation, to the Agricultural Society of South Carolina to establish a home and school for underprivileged children. The Lethe Agricultural Seminary was founded here after de la Howe’s death in 1797.

Initially restricted to twenty-four boys and girls from what was then Abbeville County, with preference given to orphans, the school emphasized manual training, or instruction in operating a self-sufficient farm. In 1918, the school was turned over the State of South Carolina, opened to children from every county in the state, and renamed John de la Howe School. It is now a group child care agency. On Route 81, 2 mi. southwest of Route 28.

The quest for gold occupies a unique chapter in the annals of American history. It occupies a special place in the history of the Town of McCormick. The zealous quest for the precious metal influenced two men to the extent that it induced the spawning of the settlement and then town that became McCormick. In spite of their mutual interest the two men probably never met. The first was William Burkhalter Dorn’s unrelenting search for and discovery of gold. Dorn’s discovery of the mother lode at Peak Hill in 1852 insured the Dorn Mine a top spot in nineteenth century gold mining in South Carolina. Dorn made extensive investments in real property in the area and was an outstanding philanthropist. As a result of Dorn’s Mine a small settlement called Dorn’s Gold Mines sprang up around the mines. A post office by that name was established in 1857. Cyrus Hall McCormick’s investment in and ultimate purchase of the Dorn Mine from Billy Dorn, and his influence in the acquisition of a railroad terminal at the site clinched the permanence of the Town of McCormick. McCormick’s interest in securing a railroad connection to the Augusta and Greenwood Railroad was an attempt to boost the success of his gold and manganese mines.

Interest in the Dorn Mine was greatly increased because of the participation of the great nineteenth century industrialist Cyrus McCormick. The man who single-handedly changed the face of American agriculture would not experience similar success through his investment in the Dorn Mine, but he will be remembered for adding an engaging chapter to the saga of the mines, and for ensuring the future of the Town of McCormick. Cyrus Hall McCormick, born February 15, 1809, on the family farm Walnut Grove, in Rockbridge County, Virginia, was of Scots-Irish ancestry. At the age of twenty-two, McCormick devised the invention which would change his life and dramatically increase the efficiency of the American farmer. In 1831, and in only six weeks to develop the world’s first successful reaping machine. In all the centuries prior to 1831, there had been invented but two new agricultural implements for harvesting: the scythe (sixteenth century) and the cradle (eighteenth century). From that beginning in 1831, he rose to national prominence. Envisioning Chicago as the future railroad hub and gateway to the expanding West, he chose the Windy City as the site of his factory in 1847. Within two years, he repaid his creditors, and McCormick and Company (later known as International Harvester) was a sensational success.


Geschichte

The roots of International Harvester can be traced back to the 1830s, when Cyrus Hall McCormick, an inventor from Virginia, finalized his version of a horse-drawn reaper. The reaper was demonstrated in tests in 1831 and was patented by Cyrus in 1834. Together with his brother, McCormick moved to Chicago in 1847 and started the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company. The McCormick reaper sold well, partially as a result of savvy and innovative business practices. Their products came onto the market just as the development of railroads offered wide distribution to distant market areas. He developed marketing and sales techniques, developing a vast network of trained salesmen able to demonstrate operation of the machines in the field.

McCormick died in Chicago, with his company passing on to his son, Cyrus McCormick, Jr. In 1902, the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company and Deering Harvester Company, along with three smaller agricultural equipment firms (Milwaukee Plano and Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner (manufacturers of Champion brand)) merged together to create the International Harvester Company (IHC).

Die McCormick-Deering tractors were renamed to just McCormick, which continued in Europe. In the USA, the tractors were later renamed International.

International Harvester sold off the Ag division in 1985 and later renamed the company. The Agricultural devision being bought by Tenneco, parent to J.I.Case, thus combining them to form Case IH tractor division and Case CE division for construction plant.

Case IH then decided to merge with Fiat's New Holland subsidiary to form CNH. This lead to the competition authorities in several countries ruling that for the merger to proceed they had to sell some production capacity in certain markets. The result was the Versatile factories in in Canada building high horse power machines were sold as the Steiger brand was retained. And in Europe the former International Harvester factory at Doncaster was sold along with some of the Case IH models built there and re branded as McCormick Tractors International Ltd owned by ARGO SpA of Italy, parent company of Landini.


Business Success

McCormick produced more of the machines, and at first, he only sold them to local farmers. But as word of the machine's amazing functionality spread, he began selling more. He ultimately started a factory in Chicago. The McCormick Reaper revolutionized agriculture, making it possible to harvest large areas of grain much faster than could have been done by men wielding scythes.

Because farmers could harvest more, they could plant more. So McCormick's invention of the reaper made the possibility of food shortages, or even famine, less likely.

It was said that before McCormick's machinery changed farming forever, families would have to struggle to cut enough grain during the fall to last them until the next harvest. One farmer, highly skilled at swinging at scythe, might only be able to harvest two acres of grain in a day.

With a reaper, one man with a horse could harvest large fields in a day. It was thus possible to have much larger farms, with hundreds or even thousands of acres.

The earliest horse-drawn reapers made by McCormick cut the grain, which fell onto a platform so it could be raked up by a man walking alongside the machine. Later models consistently added practical features, and McCormick's farm machinery business grew steadily. By the end of the 19th century, McCormick reapers did not just cut wheat, they could also thresh it and put it into sacks, ready for storage or shipment.

At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, McCormick exhibited his latest model. The American machine was the source of much curiosity. McCormick's reaper, during a competition held at an English farm in July 1851, outperformed a British-made reaper. When the McCormick reaper was returned to the Crystal Palace, the site of the Great Exhibition, word had spread. In the crowds attending the exhibition, the machine from America became a must-see attraction.

In the 1850s McCormick's business grew as Chicago became the center of the railroads in the Midwest, and his machinery could be shipped to all parts of the country. The spread of the reapers meant that American grain production also increased.

It has been noted that McCormick's farming machines may have had an impact on the Civil War, as they were more common in the North. And that meant farmhands going off to war had less impact on grain production. In the South, where hand tools were more common, the loss of farm hands to the military had much more impact.

In the years following the Civil War the company founded by McCormick continued to grow. When workers at McCormick's factory struck in 1886, events surrounding the strike led to the Haymarket Riot, a watershed event in American labor history.


Schau das Video: McCormick D436 am Hang (Juli 2022).


Bemerkungen:

  1. Baltasar

    der Ausdruck bewundernswert

  2. Amhold

    Sein erreichte noch nicht.

  3. Rowley

    Natürlich. All dies ist wahr. Wir können zu diesem Thema kommunizieren. Hier oder per PN.

  4. Vulkis

    Ich finde, du hast nicht Recht. Ich bin sicher. Per PN schreiben.

  5. Thackere

    Zugegeben, das ist eine lustige Sache

  6. Jader

    Richtige Nachrichten

  7. Kazijora

    Ich entschuldige mich, aber meiner Meinung nach haben Sie nicht Recht. Lassen Sie uns darüber diskutieren.



Eine Nachricht schreiben